Here's a quick list of what we accomplished since we last posted. If you're taking notes, don't worry, we'll be posting more detail and sources for everything.:
- Painted the siding, walls and ceiling. (Jack rented a paint sprayer, and, despite a few technical difficulties, made quick work of it.)
- Installed our Alabax ceiling fixtures.
- Mounted and installed our stove hood.
- Wired and installed electrical outlets.
- Plumbed and installed the sink and faucet (that was an exciting day!).
- Installed the dishwasher.
- Built and mounted our cabinets and drawers. Assembly went pretty quickly even with the few Ikea-hacks that Jack had to make. Our kids had a blast playing with all the boxes and cardboard.
- Installed drawer and cabinet hardware.
- Cut and installed the wood countertops.
- Created a natural finish and treated the countertops.
- Moved most of what we had been storing in the dining room back into the kitchen.
- Hosted Thanksgiving!
We completed most of this work by the end of November and then took some time off. We celebrated our son's eighth birthday and our daughter's tenth. We had family and friends over for meals for the first time in nine months. We rolled and cut out Christmas cookies on our new counters. We slept in. We said yes to our kids more often. We played in the snow. We decorated lasagnas with basil leaves (me). We perfected our Wii golf game (Jack). It was pretty awesome.
Now we're rested and feeling that enthusiasm that comes with the new year. We're anxious to get back to work and finish all that remains to be done:
- Shelving—we had planned for open shelving instead of upper cabinets, but never really settled on a look. We tried ordering some brackets online, but they were just not quite right. Jack has decided he will fabricate his own brackets. I am really excited about how the shelving will look with our siding.
- Pantry—all the cabinetry and countertops are installed except for in the pantry. We have shelving to decide on and install in there as well.
- Floor—I convinced Jack that the look I wanted was a painted wood floor. We painted it earlier in the fall, and, well, I'm just not happy with it! We're exploring other options and will share our ideas soon.
- Hang additional lighting—we have a pendant for over the sink and one for the pantry.
- Install and paint baseboards, window and door trim and moulding.
- Find and install doors for our mudroom closet.
- Convince Jack to let me paint a chalkboard wall—or let him talk me out of it.